Based on the age of the child, household size, and family income, we automatically match each child with their best fit of the four Florida KidCare programs. All children above the age of 1 are eligible for Florida KidCare coverage through a subsidized or full-pay program, even if one or both parents are working.

Children from birth until their first birthday are eligible for Medicaid if their household income is below 200 percent of the federal poverty level.

To qualify for premium assistance, also known as subsidized coverage, a child must:

  • Be under age 19
  • Be uninsured when Florida KidCare coverage begins
  • Meet income eligibility requirements
  • Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen (A parent’s immigration status will never be asked.)
  • Not be eligible for fully-subsidized Medicaid
  • Not be in a public institution

Lawfully Residing Immigrant Children

Lawfully residing Florida children are eligible to apply for Florida KidCare health and dental coverage. A parent’s immigration status is not required on the Florida KidCare application, nor is it ever asked.

The Florida Legislature passed a law that has helped many immigrant children who lawfully reside in Florida obtain health insurance coverage since it became effective on July 1, 2016.

Prior to this change, some non-citizen children living in Florida had to be lawfully in the United States at least five years before they qualified for health insurance through the Florida KidCare program.

Children who were previously denied Florida KidCare subsidized coverage because of the five-year waiting period need to reapply online, or by calling 1-888-540-5437.

Some children previously denied because of the five-year rule may be currently enrolled in a health plan through www.healthcare.gov. Their families can transfer to Florida KidCare by updating their information with the federal marketplace at www.healthcare.gov or by calling 1-800-318-2596.

If a child is enrolled through employer-based or other private coverage, they can apply at any time, however, Florida KidCare coverage will not begin until the other coverage has ended.

For more information about the legislation, please visit https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2016/5101.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who does the law passed on July 1, 2016 apply to?

Non-citizen children, up to their 19th birthday, who reside in Florida, meet the Florida KidCare income guidelines, and have the necessary documentation to prove they are lawfully present in the United States.

2. My child was previously denied because of the five-year rule. What should I do to find out if he/she qualifies now?

Please call 1-888-540-5437 to update your information and find out if your child is now eligible.

3. How may a child who is covered through the federal marketplace, www.healthcare.gov switch to Florida KidCare?

In order to transfer a child to Florida KidCare, families must update their information with the federal marketplace and receive a new eligibility assessment. Families can visit www.healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596 at any time to update their information.

4. How may a child who is covered through employer-based or private coverage switch to Florida KidCare?

Parents of a child enrolled in employer-based or other private coverage can apply for Florida KidCare at any time, however, Florida KidCare coverage will not begin until the other coverage has ended.

No Change 5-Year Wait Eliminated Newly Eligible
  • Refugee
  • Asylee
  • Cuban/Haitian Entrant
  • Granted Withholding of Deportation or Removal
  • Victims of Human Trafficking
  • Unmarried Dependents of Non-Citizens Serving in the US Military
  • Members of Federally Recognized Indian Tribe of American Indian Born in Canada
  • Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)
  • Paroled into the US for at Least One Year
  • Battered Child or Child of Battered Person
  • Granted Relief Under the Convention Against Torture (CAT)
  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
  • Deferred Enforcement Departure (DED)
  • Deferred Action
  • Paroled into US for Less than One Year
  • Individual with Non-Immigrant Status
  • Administrative Stay of Removal
  • Lawful Temporary Resident
  • Family Unity

Newly Eligible - Applicant

  • Applicant for LPR
  • Applicant for Asylum
  • Applicant for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
  • Applicant for Victim of Trafficking VISA
  • Applicant for Withholding of Deportation or Removal

Newly Eligible - Employment Authorization Required

  • Applicant for Temporary Protected Status
  • Registry Applicants
  • Order of Supervision
  • Applicant for Cancellation of Removal or Suspension of Deportation
  • Applicant for Legalization Under IRCA
  • Applicant for LPR Under the LIFE Act

Note: Column two titled “5-Year Wait Eliminated” are immigration statuses that were considered “Qualified” prior to July 1, 2016, but were subject to a waiting period. Column three titled “Newly Eligible” are groups of immigration statuses that are now potentially eligible beginning July 1, 2016, but were deemed “Non-Qualified” prior to that date regardless of length of stay in the country.

Back to top

Information for Grandparents

Are you raising grandchildren who need health insurance?

Grandchildren that live with you may be eligible for Florida KidCare. When you apply for Florida KidCare, your income will only be considered if it will help your grandchildren become eligible for one of the Florida KidCare programs. The grandchildren you are applying for must live in your home, but it does not matter how long they have lived with you. You can print a Florida KidCare application and instructions from this website, or call 1-888-540-5437 toll-free and one will be sent to you.

Grandparents can bring their grandchildren to the doctor’s office.

Florida Statute Chapter 743.0645 allows a grandparent to consent to medical care on behalf of a child: (1) after the treatment provider has made a reasonable attempt to contact the child’s parent or legal guardian and that person cannot be contacted; and (2) if the parent or legal guardian has not given the treatment provider notice that they oppose the treatment.

If your uninsured grandchildren do not live with you...

If you are a grandparent whose uninsured grandchild does not live with you, you can still learn about child health insurance from the state your grandchild lives in. Go to Insure Kids Now and from the drop-down menu click on the state that your grandchild resides in. You can then contact that state to have an application sent to your grandchild's parents.

Back to top

American Indian or Alaskan Native Eligibility

Children who are members of federally recognized American Indian or Alaskan Native tribes may not be required to pay monthly premiums or co-payments once enrolled in Florida KidCare.

If your children are members of federally recognized American Indian or Alaskan Native tribes, please call 1-888-540-5437 toll-free to find out if they are eligible for free health and dental insurance coverage.